Monday, August 24, 2009

The Next Level

Ready to head for the next level, we began looking for properties. The plan was to own as many multi-family units as we could buy. The plan was financial freedom. I could just picture it – neither of us would need a job, we could travel, be debt-free, and enjoy this residual passive income for the rest of our lives. It was a good plan. Or, so I thought.

Last year it became very clear that it was fine for me to proceed with Real Estate, as long as I was doing it for God. I searched my motives, convincing myself that I could do it for Him. ‘I’ll build this empire and then I’ll have more to give’ I told myself ‘I’ll have all this freedom to go on mission trips’ and of course, ‘This is how I can be an excellent steward’. While each of these is true and even sound somewhat noble, my real motive was to amass wealth to depend on – so that I wouldn’t ever have to work or worry. I would be taken care of.

As we searched for properties and worked the numbers, neither of us had peace about it. We were both uncomfortable for some reason. This time, willing to hear the truth even if it meant I had to give up everything, I went to God and asked what I’m supposed to do. Real Estate was not on the list. When I pointed to the Proverbs 31 woman who does Real Estate investing and business, I asked if I can do these things too. His kind response was ‘in the right order’. ‘Seek first the kingdom of God, and all these things will be added unto you’. (Luke 12:31)

“And don’t worry about food – what to eat and drink. Don’t worry whether God will provide it for you. These things dominate the thoughts of most people, but your Father already knows your needs. He will give you all you need from day to day if you make the Kingdom of God your primary concern. So don’t be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom. … “Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be.”

Motive revealed. The plan to ‘amass wealth to depend on’ suddenly doesn’t sound so good. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not saying wealth, business or real estate investing is wrong. “God gives us all things richly to enjoy”, and even the Proverbs 31 woman does these things. My motives have simply been called into question, and revealed to be selfish and lacking in faith. Rather than trusting God to provide for my needs, I’ve sought to build up wealth to take care of me – in sickness, old age, desperate economic times … in all situations I could trust my wealth to protect me. Oops! Way off base.

Change is necessary. I don’t know what the plan is except to ‘make the Kingdom of God my primary concern’. Teach my kids, manage my household, and know my King. Refocus is the order of the day. So we’ll be reigning back our investing for now and refocusing our ‘heart and thoughts’. Maybe one day ‘all these things will be added’ to us but it can’t be our focus at this point.

No comments: